Selling your junk car is a great way to get some fast cash in your pocket while also clearing out your garage or some space in your driveway. Unfortunately, there are quite a few scam artists out there who are more than willing to take advantage of unwitting customers. The good news is that Junkyard Dog is here to help. Continue reading to learn a few of the most common scams to avoid when you decide, “I want to sell my junk car in Boca Raton, FL”:
- Bait and switch: In a classic bait-and-switch con, a junkyard will give you an estimate over the phone based on the information you provide. Once the junkyard comes to pick up your vehicle, though, they offer you a lot less than they originally quoted you. Sadly, this con works more often than not because people are just happy to get something for their old car, even if it’s not as much as they originally hoped for. If a junkyard tries to pull this move, tell them, “thanks, but no thanks,” and find a different buyer!
- Payment by check: Imagine this scenario: you get a check from the junkyard and go to your bank to cash it, only to find out that the check is no good. You’re left high and dry with a bounced check and no car, and you also have to pay your bank a fee for trying to cash that bounced check. Instead of dealing with all of that, bring your car to a junkyard that offers you cold, hard cash for your vehicle. There’s no funny business when you get a handful of hundred-dollar bills for your old car!
- Ownership transfer cons: When selling your vehicle, don’t get too caught up with how much money you’re going to get for it. You first need to worry about proper ownership transfer. If ownership isn’t transferred properly through the DMV, you could still be liable for future parking tickets or fines even though you don’t technically own that car anymore.
What to look for in a good junk car buyer
There are plenty of places in town that will buy your junk car without scamming you, but like in any industry, some junk vehicle buyers are better than others. Here’s what you should look for the next time you’re trying to sell your junk car:
- Positive reviews: Take some time to look online for reviews of different junkyards. Only go to a junkyard that consistently has positive reviews when it comes to customer service and payment.
- Cash payment: As mentioned above, always go to a junkyard that pays in cash! Cash payment ensures that you won’t get burned, and often means you’ll get the most money for your vehicle.
- Free pickup: It’s safe to say that getting your car to a junkyard is difficult if it doesn’t run anymore—that is, unless you find a junkyard that can pick your old vehicle up for free! Free vehicle pickup is the sign of a quality junkyard that’s not trying to nickel and dime you.
If you wake up and think, “It’s time to sell my junk car in Boca Raton, FL,” be sure that you sell it to Junkyard Dog! Give us a call today to schedule pick up or to learn more about what we can give you for your unwanted vehicle.