When you’ve got a vehicle that’s just too damaged for you to be interested in repairing, you can still get some cash for it by selling it to a junkyard. But before you make that sale, there are certain steps you should take to ensure you’re getting the best deal for your vehicle.
With that in mind, here are a few steps you should take before selling your wrecked vehicle to junk car buyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL:
- Remove any personal items: If you’re like most people, you probably leave a lot of personal items in your vehicle at all times. Some of it might be junk, but some of it also might be items that you really want to keep. Before you drop off the vehicle at the junkyard, make sure you’ve gone through it and picked out any items or accessories that you want to keep. Make sure to check under the seats and in the glove compartment, and take out any CDs you might have inside the CD player.
- Arrange a title transfer: The most important element you need to transfer the ownership of your vehicle over to the junkyard is a valid title. While you can sell your vehicle without a title, doing so is significantly harder. If you do not properly transfer ownership of your vehicle over to the junkyard, you could still be held liable for anything that happens with it, as legal ownership would never have been transferred out of your name. Therefore, after the sale, you should also follow up with the Department of Motor Vehicles and the junkyard to make sure the title has been properly transferred
- Sell valuable parts: In some circumstances, you might be able to squeeze more money out of your vehicle by removing certain valuable components to sell separately to other sources. The junkyard will still take your vehicle for scrap, but it might make more sense to divide up certain vehicle components so you can get the most out of the sale. For example, tires that still have a lot of tread could have a fair amount of value, as could newer batteries and electronic gear.
- Take off the license plates: Make sure you remember to take off the license plates before your vehicle is towed away or before you drop it off for good at the junkyard. In many cases, you are required to return license plates to your local Department of Motor Vehicles to assist with canceling your registration. You might also not be able to cancel your auto insurance policy if you have not turned in the plates and registration.
- Use up your gas: It doesn’t hurt to use up your gas before you sell the vehicle. You might even consider siphoning it from the tank—just make sure you do so safely.
For more information about how you can sell your wrecked vehicle to junk car buyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL, contact our team at Junkyard Dog today.